Sunday, April 15, 2012

Camping in Rome

Our last day in Rome we visited the Oak Hill Planation, former home of Martha Berry who gave 65,000 acres of land for the world's largest campus. She was some rich lady.

You know who in the rose garden.

How do you like my new hair cut?

The sunken garden.

Mrs. Berry's home.

While in Rome we are parked in a beautiful place and I just had to share it with y'all.


The sign in front is kinda cute.

The view out our rear windows.

Peaceful.

Lookin good!

So far no alligators.

We are pretty high up, but they have had floods.

Lots of fishing.

We are in such a beautiful place here in Rome. I don't know what I expected but the area is beautiful. We love the town and the people too. Everyone is so friendly, the kids have no tattoos, are polite and respectful. Like when we were young. Like California used to be.

A very old observation platform.

Capt. America.
While we were here I do think we did a good job of looking for my ancestors. I need to go back to Arkansas and continue my search there. Later this year that may happen. We looked at records in the oldest two cemeteries here. East View and Myrtle Hill, we looked at all the old ones in the county and did not find anyone we knew. Sure saw a lot of folks we would have liked to know however.


Atop Myrtle Hill Cemetery. The city below. Remember Rome has seven hills, this one does too.

Nice view, no relatives.


Seems where ever you go there is an Airstream. We spotted this one from the cemetery.

There are Civil War graves in every cemetery.

I seem to have exceeded the length allowed for the blog. More later. Barry and Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment