Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 12th, afternoon.

After eating lunch and learning that none of our group was involved in the crash that had closed the main highway earlier in the morning we drove the short distance to the Mountain Home Place for a tour of a 1860's farm community. Now my ancestors are from Arkansas, so personally I saw nothing new to me. I cannot speak for the others but I suspect from some of the accents from our caravan members that it was not too foreign to them either. But we are a pretty sophisticated bunch, unlike our guides. Both guides were probably products of many years of inbreeding and could not fully answer a question or direct a tour. On their behalf they did add color to our tour. Anyway it was a good way to spend a cloudy and threatening afternoon.



Some of our friends on the farm.

They are so cute I just couldn't resist another picture.

The barn was built around 1860 and is still in use here.

Carlos and me discussing the worlds ills.

A one room school, an amazing number of people had attended a one room school including me in Arkansas.

This sure reminded me of my granddads house when I was little.

Later in the afternoon we had a cookout. Actually some of the ladies prepared this feast and the rest of us ate it. Shirley said the prayer prior to eating. Most meals eaten by the group have a prayer before eating. Some of us need praying over, and not just at meals.

Come and get it.

I try to include  photos of our campgrounds, this was our greeting each time we entered.
 After eating our fill we drove to visit the Country Music Highway Museum. For it's size they have a lot. Loretta Lynn is big around here so a lot of time was spent on her career. But, look it up, there are many famous performers from here. Some are: The Judds, momma is my favorite, Crystal Gail, Ricky Skaggs, and tons of others.

After the tour we were entertained by the group, Five Miles From Nowhere, who were a delight and they required some audience participation which got most of us up off our chairs. The room was dark so I was unable to get a photo of the performers, but I sure got some of us.

Shirley getting folks off their keister s.

cC
John and Kathy dancing. John is 87 and doing just fine.

Couldn't resist the photo op.

Loads more tomorrow.


See Ya! Barry and Shirley

No comments:

Post a Comment