Even though we arrived here on the 4th I did not write until today, the day we are leaving. Something just did not make sense to me. It was the fort. I did not understand how this dirt mounded non traditional fort could be so hard to "crack."
The wind blew the bugs bit and I could not hear or see the movie shown. So I sat and read about it. I understood that the Union ironclad, the Montauk sank the Confederate ship the Nashville here, I understood that the Union bombarded this place for over 30 hours before they surrendered but why was it so hard? It was the fort! Later we went to see Ft. Pulaski a more traditional fort and it all came together. More on this next blog.
So here we are leaving. We were parkers here and the place is so large and strung out we needed walkie-talkies and had none but everyone eventually got parked and we did what we needed to do, ate pizza. Delivered late, but nevertheless delivered. GAM (get acquainted meeting) #2 was part of the evening. Bedtime found us fed and tired, wind blown and bug eaten. This beautiful Spanish Moss all over harbors "chiggers" and they go for the eyes and neck and go right through you window screens and hover around doors just waiting to get at you.
Next blog I will talk more about forts and bring my new found knowledge to a conclusion.
 |
| Shirley at the overlook at Ft. McAlliser |
 |
| An example of what you would have encountered to attack by land. |
 |
| This is a "hot shot" cannon, hot steel balls were heated and set afire the wooden ships they hit. |
 |
| Inside the hot furnace. |
 |
| Another view of the furnace. |
 |
| Officers quarters in the bunker dug below the dirt walls of the fort. |
 |
| Mens quarters, deeper in the bunker. Cosy? |
 |
| A view from inside the fort. |
See Ya! Barry and Shirley
No comments:
Post a Comment