March 8th after our disastrous time unhitching we went to Mama Mia's in Dover, TN for dinner. We each had to tell about ourselves and get our "picture took." Next day the 9th, we toured Ft. Donnelson. When Grant took Ft. Henry, on the Tennessee river and Ft. Donnelson, on the Cumberland river, the war began to turn around for the Union. Grant got the moniker "Unconditional Surrender" after these battles. Even if you only have a passing interest in the Civil War you might Google these two battles.
It has been really cold here. Low's have been 35, in fact 35 was the high one day. Rain or the threat of rain each day. As it turns out it was like this in 1862 when these folks had their battles. I wonder why they did not have the good sense to fight in Florida, California, or southern Texas? Much nicer there this time of year.
 |
| I was on a cannon loading team. My position was #3 which meant I had a multitasking position. I had to put my gloved thumb over the primer hole while the cannon was being sponged out between firings to make sure no fire was left in there. Also, I had to aim the cannon before it was fired again. Most importantly, I had to know when to get out of the way of the recoil when the thing was fired! |
 |
| Here we are, the intrepid shooters. |
 |
| After firing the cannon is swabbed out. |
 |
| Stand back! |
 |
Overlooking the Cumberland River.
|
 |
| You will have to imagine the Unions ironclads firing from the river. |
See Ya! Barry and Shirley
No comments:
Post a Comment